Monday, August 13, 2012

Martha: A Novel

(This book is based in the early Christian era, during the time of the crucifixion.)

Martha: A Novel by Diana Wallis Taylor

I found this book through our public library's eBook collection. Christian historical fiction is a genre I'm really getting into. This book tells about the life of Martha, sister to Lazarus and Mary, starting before they met Jesus through the time after the resurrection.  Martha is often seen as the rigid sister, all business.

During this book, we get pulled into Martha's life. Her joys and sorrows.  Her heartbreaks and triumphs.  I found myself enthralled with the culture of these early Christ followers.  The Jewish traditions fascinated me. 

Bible stories from my childhood were shown to me in a new light. The story of Mary and Martha when Jesus and his followers came to visit - Mary at Jesus' feet and Martha in the kitchen were presented in a new way.  Jesus bringing Lazarus back to life - the emotions of his sisters and friends like I never understood before.

Putting this book down was difficult for me. I felt tied to Martha, eager to find out where God was leading her. As I read, my curiosity had me wondering what parts of the story were fiction and which were non-fiction.  I'm not a Bible scholar, so for me it was a mystery. Part of me would like to research to find out what is historical, but another part is enjoying the world the author created.  This would be an enjoyable read for anyone who enjoys historical fiction from a Christian angle.


No comments:

Post a Comment