Sunday, June 8, 2014

Mustard

Mustard by Charlotte Graeber

Mustard is the name of a family cat. He was an Easter gift from husband to wife in their pre-parent days. Their two young children have always known mustard as part of the family, but he's getting old. At his yearly physical, the family finds out that Mustard's heart isn't as strong as it once was.

This short chapter book brings about emotions surrounding the difficult decision to say goodbye to a beloved pet. All too often this topic is avoided with children. My nine year old daughter was introduced to this book by her third grade teacher. She then introduced it to me and insisted that I read it. "I cried," she told me. Yes, this book made me a little teary-eyed but I'm glad I read it. 

Photo credit: Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment